There are times when a user may need to change their email within your current network. Those may include:
- Name change of the user (Married, etc…)
- User Leaves and employer (see FAQ “An employee is leaving” or “I’m leaving my employer”)
- User was using a personal email address but policy dictates they use a work email.
- Other reasons
Wickr Pro is tied both to user email and devices. When you install the application on a device you’ll remember that you used an activation code sent to you from an admin. That admin entered your email and that was tied to a user account. So, when you change your email, an administrator needs to send a new invitation for a new user account. There are some things to be aware of in this scenario:
- The new email (user account) will not be tied to the old email (user account), therefore, all conversation history will NOT carry over to the new user.
- Only one instance of the application can be installed per device. You can not have multiple versions of the application for different users on the same device. This is part of the Wickr security model that ties devices to user accounts.
The steps to change an email for a user are:
- User should log out of the application from a device (see considerations below)
- From the login screen, select “reset device”
- Admin adds new email as new user
- User responds the initial new user email as a new user, which includes installing the application on all devices again.
Because all history is lost, you may want to allow the old user email account to exist for a grace period and instruct the user to leave one device for that user (don’t uninstall or try to install new user on that device). That will allow for the user to have access to conversation history. Consult your compliance and security departments for adherence to policy.